via Albemarle’s A-Mail: (bolding mine)
• The utility relocation phase of the project is reaching an end with Century Link and Dominion both expecting to have their poles down within the next two weeks if not already.
• Although preliminary work on the project is already ongoing, the official groundbreaking will be scheduled for late January/early February 2014, when the most visible start of the construction will occur.
• Regarding the potential detour:
– We appreciate the communication, comments and concerns from the citizens and business owners and we will continue the dialogue.
– The Square will no longer be a part of the official signed detour route. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has confirmed that state right-of-way exists to allow for the use of Library Avenue instead for any necessary detour purposes.
– VDOT, the County and the Contractor are still discussing and reviewing the options for a potential closure and detour. If VDOT and the project team approve the revised plan, the closure and detour would be brought before the BOS in February.
• Bi-weekly updates, including the social media campaign, will start once construction activity is ongoing following the ground breaking ceremony.
• The schedule is on track for completion in October, 2014.