- This event has passed.
Albemarle County’s Mountain Heritage: An Open House at the McAllister Cabin
March 29, 2014 @ 10:00 - 16:00
The wonderful weather this past weekend sure had me yearning for springtime – which is why I’m excited to tell you about one of our first outdoor events of the year. Our Madison County Mountain Heritage Event at the Edgar Meadows Cabin was such a success last year, that we decided to organize a similar event in Albemarle County at the end of March.
We invite you to visit the restored home of the McAllister Family and learn about their life together at their mountainside farm in Sugar Hollow, Virginia. With a variety of activities planned, this is a great event for history buffs, hikers, families and local citizens alike.
This event is free, though pre-registration is required.
Albemarle County’s Mountain Heritage:
An Open House at the McAllister Cabin
Saturday, March 29th, 10am – 4pm
Sugar Hollow, Albemarle County, VA
|Local families will share their memories of the mountain culture in Albemarle. From left, Cecil and Mertie McAllister, and their cousin Virginia Baptist “Bap” Sandridge Hicks c.1985. Photo by Phil James|
The event will feature a variety of activities including:
- Tours of the historic McAllister home recently restored by its current owners
- Stories told by members of local families
- A presentation by historian Phil James on the history of Sugar Hollow
- Old photos, maps and film footage on display
- Hiking opportunities and self-guided tours on trails surrounding the cabin, including some in Shenandoah National Park, which pass by a number of historic sites
- Live music, refreshments, and conversation
Though we have a lot planned, we’re still looking for folks who’d like to come out and volunteer. If you’re interested in playing music or doing anything else that could add to the event – please let me know!