- This event has passed.
Where the Raptors Soar: Open House at the Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch
September 10, 2016 @ 10:00 - 15:00free
The Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch is hosting an Open House event on Saturday, Sept 10, 2016. 10am – 3pm.
Each fall over 20,000 raptors migrate through Rockfish Gap, and we count them all! Come join us as we witness this great migration and enjoy a fun day of family events including:
– Free grilled hot dogs, snacks & drinks
– Examine mounted raptor specimens up close
– Exibits by local Bird Clubs
– Dissect owl pellets to discover what owls eat
– Master Naturalist Bluebird Trail display
– Exibits on raptors and migration
– Meet our hawk counters
– Try out binoculars and spotting scopes
– Live raptor presentation
– Breeding Bird Atlas presentation
– Raptor Identification Workshop
– Migratory Bird presentation
Bring a lawn chair, hat, and sunscreen. Binoculars recommended. Pets are discouraged because of live raptors on site.
Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch is located on Afton Mountain on the grounds of the Inn at Afton just off exit 99 (where I-64 intersects with Rt 250, Skyline Drive, and the Blue Ridge Parkway). Rain date: Sunday, Sep 11.
More info here: