The Crozet Trails Crew is one of those unheralded (or at least not-heralded-enough) groups that make Crozet a great place to live. Their efforts make being in – and staying in – Crozet better.
A few real estate-related thoughts:
- Bike paths increase property values
- A few photos from 2012 on the Crozet Trails
- You can see a lot of Albemarle’s trails online.
Their 2015 goals are bold. And good. If you’re interested in helping them, I’m sure they’d welcome you!
CTC 2015 GOALS –
- Work on the upper upper loop at Mint Springs (led by County).
- Complete Creekside trail.
- Complete the Crozet Connector Trail from Lickinghole Basin to Crozet Park and spur trail to Clover Lawn (waiting on easements through 3 properties).
- Add a small bridge across the drainage area on Crozet Park trail.
- Erect signage at trail heads, significant points, etc.
- Continue to clear and maintain the Henley Hornets Trail and Crozet Connector Trail.
- Widen the County-owned portions of Lickinghole Basin trail east of mowed portion.
- Create a “destination spot” at Lickinghole Basin.
- Add entry steps and a rip-rap bridge on Foothills Crossing trail.
- Design the bridge to the south of Westhall across Lickinghole Creek (led by County).
- Design sheltered bench locations along the Crozet Connector Trail.
- Partner with other local organizations- CCBRTF, Crozet Running Club, service fraternities, WAHS Key Club, etc.
- Dedicate the 2014 5k bridge
- Work with the County on signs for trail heads and information for kiosks (including dates of hunting season).
- Work with local neighborhood groups to add to trail system (eg. Waylands Grant, Old Trail, Fox Chase, etc).
- Select and prepare a 5k running route from Crozet Park on all public property.
- Start a Trail Monitors program.
- Find a Marketing volunteer who can help grow the following lines of communication:
- Information to and from local real estate agents
- School groups and scout troops
- Coordination with other Crozet groups regarding workdays and time sharing.
- Strategic vision
- Maps with GPS coordinates
- Links to other trails and other organizations:
- Albemarle County (like the newly opened Old Mill Trail, Monticello Trail) and City of Charlottesville (like the Rivanna Trail or )
- Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
- Waynesboro Greenway Trail
- Claudius Crozet Blue Ridge Tunnel Foundation
- Blue Ridge Rail Trail
- Rails-To-Trail Conservancy (Virginia Trails)
- local bicycle and hiking resources, such as Rockfish Gap Outfitters, Performance Bicycle, Bike Factory of Charlottesville, etc.