Recycle your tree at Crozet Park or Greenwood Community Center, take the ornaments and lights off first, from 26 December until 13 January
via email, bolding mine
Whether you take down your Christmas tree on December 26 or January 13, we have places in Albemarle County where you can recycle your tree, FREE of charge!
The Albemarle County Parks and Recreation Department will operate seven drop off sites from December 26, 2018 through January 14, 2019. The hours are daily from 7:00 a.m. until dark.
Christmas tree recycling sites:
- Crozet Park in Crozet
- Greenwood Community Center in Greenwood
- Chris Greene Lake Park in Earlysville
- Darden Towe Park on Elks Drive
- Scottsville Community Center in Scottsville
- Walnut Creek Park off Old Lynchburg Road
- Rivanna Solid Waste Authority Recycling Center on McIntire Road (Note: Sunday hours are 12:30-5:30pm)
Please remove all decorations, lights, stands, and nails before dropping off trees. And remember, the sites are only accepting discarded Christmas trees, please do not bring yard waste.
The recycled trees will be chipped into mulch and the mulch will be available for FREE starting February 1, 2019, at Darden Towe Park.
The County’s Christmas Tree Recycling Program has been helping citizens discard treesand reducing the impact on our landfills since 1988. The program collects approximately 2300 Christmas trees each year and turns them into mulch.