Now that the Albemarle County Planning Commission have approved Adelaide, the next step is the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors meeting.
This is a facebook post I put up on 9 May, the day before the PC approved Adelaide: (great comments and conversation there as well)
RE: Adelaide and the CCAC’s and the neighbors’ opposition to the rezoning, a few thoughts that I’m going to revise & refine : (update: I didn’t)
(This will be a blog post, but I wanted to start it here …) (Update: again, I didn’t)
– Crozet is going to continue to grow; we are a designated growth area.
– Good growth is better than no growth, and better than bad growth.
** Big caveat – I love Crozet, and want it to stay and be the wonderful place to live that most of us appreciate. I am a Realtor, but for anyone who knows me (or reads me), knows that I don’t like willy-nilly, no-holds-barred growth.***
Regarding Adelaide –
– If the rezoning doesn’t happen, the land **will** still be developed – instead of ~ 80(?) attached and detached homes priced probably > ~ $275K – $500K, we’ll get ~30 single family priced around $600K (this is big)
– If the rezoning doesn’t happen, this will be a by-right development, meaning that the County (we) will get *no* concessions or proffers … meaning:
• Less traffic
• Higher priced houses (read: less affordable Crozet, more “bedroom community”)
• No trail connection (trails are fantastic for lifestyle & property values) or bike/pedestrian trails
• No multiuse trail across the front of the development
• No pocket park
• No tree preservation
Thoughts and input welcomed. Questions most assuredly so.