There was a big land use meeting the other day. Here’s the blog post with the agenda, and below are the attachments sent out after the meeting. These land use decisions affect everything. Housing, schools, roads, trails, jobs, parks, and virtually everything else.
Note that the County are having Office Hours on 2 October. Read on for details.
These quick thoughts are part of an email that I sent to someone asking for my thoughts after the meeting. I wasn’t going to write a story until I was asked, so here it is.
- We need creative density, commensurate with infrastructure improvements
- There are a lot of people who say they want affordable housing, but want it somewhere else
- Seems like a lot of Crozetians don’t like the current growth patterns, and want to shut down development. At least the ones speaking out.
- Some of the stuff that is being built around Crozet is certainly contributing to the changes in Crozet
- We need affordable housing here. Not “over there.”
- I agree with the commenters that this feels somewhat rushed, but we still need to do something soon
- We need a developer to come and propose/put up something like this that is functional and creative.
- Ceasing development is not a good or viable solution (I’m working on a follow up post on this, and would welcome citations in favor or against this argument)
- Zoom meetings are fantastic in that they open the meetings in a way that make them much easier to access, jump in and out, and learn.
- No driving or parking
- Meetings are recorded and put on YouTube
- Transcripts of the meetings!
(bolding is mine; this is part of the email from the County Staff as a followup
Thank you for attending yesterday afternoon’s Crozet Community Advisory Committee meeting. This was by far the highest-Zoom meeting we have had since we were forced to move engagement to a virtual format, with the turnout surpassing some of our public input opportunities that were open for over three weeks at a time. If you were unable to attend, please take some time to provide input through our questionnaire at https://publicinput.com/O2561.
I’ve had a number of requests for the video from the meeting as well as the Q&A list, chat, and presentation and wanted to provide those here. The meeting video can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/gCUKw8b4Mb0.
The Q&A list, chat log, and presentation slides are attached. We also wanted to create some additional opportunities for community members to chat directly with staff to provide feedback and ask questions about the Master Plan. Next Friday, October 2 from 11AM-1PM we will be hosting (virtual) office hours. Please consider joining us to learn more about the draft future land use plan, ask questions, and share your feedback! You do not have to attend for the entire time and can join whenever is convenient for you. You can pre-register/access the meeting here: