Pool coming to Old Trail

From an Old Trail release today:

As I have mentioned in previous updates, the location and design of the pool has been finalized and we are moving quickly to begin construction. I have attached an exhibit showing the pool location on Old Trail Drive and a detailed layout. The site plan has been submitted to the county and we are pushing for a quick approval so we can have this amenity open by Memorial Day 2008. A larger version of this exhibit is available for review in the sales center and the golf clubhouse.

I will keep you in the loop as we proceed through the approval process and move towards construction. If you have any questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact any member of the development team.

Old-Trail-Pool

View Larger Map

The full site plan can be found here.

Technorati Tags: ,

Crozet Streetscape – Phase 2

Republishing press releases from the County is but one way that this blog tries to inform and educate Crozetians. This meeting also presents an opportunity for somebody to write a first-hand account of the meeting.
Crozet Streetscape

Crozet residents are invited to a Community Meeting for the Downtown Crozet Streetscape Project Phase 2 to provide input on the conceptual design and the impacts related to implementing the vision for Crozet Avenue and New Main Street on Monday, December 3 at 7:00 PM at Western Albemarle High School.

This meeting will be sponsored by Albemarle County and project consultant Kimley-Horn and Associates and will be held in conjunction with the regularly scheduled Crozet Downtown Association Meeting.
For those unable to attend, there will be opportunities for you to contribute to the process by email. We will also have the informational materials from the meeting available for review on the County website.

Welcome, Co-Housing Neighbors

The Blue Ridge Cohousing project was approved by the Albemarle Board of Supervisors on Wednesday night.

What is Blue Ridge Cohousing? 

Blue Ridge Cohousing is a group of families working to establish cohousing in Crozet near Charlottesville in beautiful Central Virginia.

What is cohousing?     

Cohousing neighborhoods combine the advantages of private homes with the benefits of more sustainable living, including shared common facilities and ongoing connections with neighbors. These intentional neighborhoods, created and managed by residents, offer an innovative solution to today’s environmental and social challenges. 

I am curious to learn more about the project, and the “car-free” design of the neighborhood.

Their development goals are goals that would be good to be adopted by more than just co-housing projects:

– Environmentally sound construction
– Includes affordable housing
– Includes housing for disabled residents
– Houses are visitable to the disabled
– Homes should be $150K to $400K

Learn more at their website.

Hat tip: Cvillenews
Do any readers have first-hand knowledge of this development?

A reminder to RealCrozetVA readers

In September, RealCrozetVA was opened to all writers and contributors, furthering the drive to create a community hub of discussion and debate. Tuesday’s elections provide a great opportunity for somebody to craft a summary of the results.

Will Crozetian Arin Sime, fresh off the News Virginian’s endorsement, pull out a victory in the 24th District race?

Will challenger Ann Mallek upend incumbent David Wyant?

Log in (it’s on the right, under “Meta”), write a story, save it as a draft, and then email me to let me know.

Congratulations, Crozet

On the fireworks.

Driving home seeing people setting up their chairs in the parking lot of the Great Valu, hearing the cheers from Crozet Park (I watched the fireworks from our bedroom, as my younger daughter wanted to stay inside) and seeing my neighbors having backyard parties to celebrate Independence Day (on 30 June), it was clear that the Fireworks were a success.

Those who came together and raised the money for the Fireworks in Crozet – the Downtown Crozet Association, the Crozet Gazette, the many businesses, the community bake sale … should be proud.

What would Independence Day in Crozet be without the Fireworks and the Fireman’s Festival?

Well done, Crozet.

Track how we got here at Technorati.

If you happen to have any photos of the fireworks, please email me or post them to flickr and tag them with “Crozet”.

Just a note: For those who didn’t donate anything, don’t worry – they still need money for next year’s fireworks, so don’t hesitate to send a few bucks their way. 🙂

Technorati Tags: , ,

Fireworks in Crozet – almost here!

In ten days, Crozetians will witness the first fireworks not funded by the Fire Department. For the past few months, the Crozet community has been very busy working to raise five thousand dollars to pay for the fireworks. Folks, this needs to be a community effort. Several businesses and private individuals have stepped to the plate and given their part.

A disappointing discovery has been that very few Crozetians have donated anything at all. Personally, I got involved in the fundraising efforts because I felt it was disappointing that our community wouldn’t continue the tradition. One of the things that makes Crozet somewhat special is the community.

Now is the time to give. The Crozet Volunteer Fireman’s Summer Fest and the Fireworks are right around the corner!

Downtown Crozet Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 124
Crozet, Virginia 22932

If you work for a local company, ask them to give a few bucks. Maybe they’ll match your donation. How hard is it to give 10 bucks? Twenty-five?

Next year, we’ll have an online donation system to make things easier.

note: I despise writing posts admonishing the public, but this is something the entire community really should get behind and support. Note also the Crozet Gazette’s editorial in June’s issue.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Send those Crozet Fireworks donations now!

Please email this story to your friends, your homeowners’ associations, whomever you think might be interested in contributing to the Crozet Community’s fireworks celebration.
Make those checks payable to –

Downtown Crozet Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 124 
Crozet, Virginia 22932

Text of the letter requesting funds is below the “fold.”

Fireworks 4 Bg 070402

From crozetpark.org:

The annual Crozet Volunteer Fireman’s Fourth of July Parade will be held June 30th at 10:00 a.m. !

A summer fest – party will be held after the parade at Claudius Crozet Park with fireworks by the Crozet Community Association that evening.

I don’t know that the Crozet Community Association is the sponsor, and frankly, I don’t care. So long as the fireworks go on (and I can see from from my back porch)

Technorati Tags:

Continue reading “Send those Crozet Fireworks donations now!”